Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Gross generalizations about the right wing....

I find many things about the right-wing, and the religious right in particular, very confusing. One of their favourite topics, which I have a perhaps surprising view on, is abortion.

I was adopted as a baby. My birth mother gave me up for adoption, and my parents who raised me as their own had me from the time I was days old. I am, of course, grateful to my birth mother for deciding to let me live.

The trick is what I know about my birth mother. She was a university student. She had similar ancestry to my parents who raised me. No history of addiction, disease, insanity or anything like that in her family. In other words, I had a chance.

Forcing unfortunate women in unfortunate situations to give birth is just forcing another unfortunate person into the world. Someone who will, in all likelihood, end up a right-wing redneck, thus continuing the species. And you thought they didn't believe in evolution. I'm painting with pretty broad strokes here, of course, but you have to draw a line somewhere.

No comments: